January 28, 2009

Sock Puppets, Meat Puppets, and poking the bear.

Some of you may know that I am listed on Wikipedia (well, at least for now I am). And that is the gist of this post.

I got on Wikipedia originally because of my board seat at PGS. All the other board members were on the Wiki, and lo and behold, I was, too!

Then I poked the bear. I thought it would be cool if I would have my birthday listed on the "Births: July 6" entry. But the calendars are very closely monitored, and it was quickly removed. Then my entry itself was listed for removal. I poked the bear, and the bear bit back.

There is a (fairly short) discussion about whether or not my listing will stay. I do not know if it will or not. That is not for me to decide.

What I cannot do (though it is tempting) would be to create a bunch of new Wikipedia identities and then have them all say great things about me. Those are called "Sock Puppets" and are strongly discouraged.

The other thing I cannot do (and you, dear reader, should not do) is recruit all my friends to rally to my defense. These are called Meat Puppets. (Not Meat Puppets the band. They are quite good, but not the same thing)

The Wikipedians are very strong willed. And not very nice at times. (But they always say "Don't take it seriously") So I am steeling myself for a potential unpleasant result.

But please, don't be a Meat Puppet. (seriously)

And I promise to never poke the bear again. (Who am I kidding? I live to poke the bear)

No comments:

Post a Comment