January 31, 2010

Mike Royko and News Stories

Mike Royko wrote for the Chicago Tribune when I was a kid. (I think he later went over to the Sun-Times. But we never subscribed to that in my Fox River Valley home. So I never read those columns) I remember one column he wrote where he said he no longer went to sad movies. Or movies with a "message". When he paid his money to be entertained, he wanted to be entertained.

While I don't mind seeing hard movies every now and then, I, too, have reached the point in my life where my down time should be fun, not hard. So for movies we tend to more escapist fantasy than social justice.

Listening to the news on the radio has the same effect on me these days. I was listing to NPR this evening and there was a story about a woman whose mother had taken artificial estrogen when she was pregnant with the woman. this caused her to have a deformed uterus, and well, blah blah blah. Horrible things happened to her (including thinking about getting an abortion from the late term abortion doctor who was recently murdered in Kansas City)

This story added nothing to my knowledge of TARP funds, the Health Care Reform bill, unemployment, or much else at all. I was cooking Chicken Provencal, for crying out loud!

So I turned off the radio and turned on the Holy Modal Rounders.

Don't you treat me like no low down dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment