January 18, 2010

Home Made Gravlox

One of Doreen's co-workers enjoys fishing for salmon. I think he goes once a year or so with his family. The story I get is that he doesn't really like eating the salmon, however. So we are usually the beneficiaries of his largess. In other words, we get his salmon.

We like salmon enough, but I wanted to try something different with this batch. Doreen had given me a book on Charcuterie for Christmas. I think that when she saw how excited about that book I was she was just a little bit scared. Me? I am thrilled. Think about making your own sausage! Your own Tasso! Your own bacon! So I was eager to try something out of the book.

One of the simplest recipes in the book was for cured salmon, or gravlox, or lox. You take the salmon:

From Lox

Cover it with a mixture of salt and sugar:

From Lox

and let it sit for up to 60 hours:

12 hours:

From Lox +12 hours


24 hours:

From Lox - 24 hours


36 hours:

From Lox +36 Hours


48 hours:

From Lox +48 Hours


60 hours:

From Lox +60 Hours


Once it is cured (firm to the touch) you wash off the brine and wrap in parchment or butcher paper:

From Lox +60 Hours


And it is ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment