January 4, 2010

Cold in Houston

It is supposed to get into the teens by the end of the week here in Houston.

The teens!

The coldest it has been in ten years.

I have had my pipes freeze and burst (Not in this house) in 1983 and in 1988. Neither experience was pleasant.

The first time the pipes were in the ceiling, above the drywall and outside of the insulation. I came home from a Christmas Part (from Sanchez-O'Brien Oil and Gas - SOB OG) and heard water running. That was a bummer.

The second time the pipes were under the house. It didn't make such a mess, but you don't know misery until you live in a house where the downstairs temperature can't get above 50 and you have no water.

That was Christmas Day 1988. My good friend David lived next door. He was out of town and his pipes froze (I don't remember if they burst) too. I turned off his water (it was a rent house)

Luckily one of my neighbors was both a contractor and some Christian religion that didn't believe in celebrating Christmas. So he helped me fix my leak.

Thanks, Grant, where ever you are.

1 comment:

  1. I am dreading the cold. I had to scrape my car off this morning, if it wasn't so cold out I'd clear out my garage so I could park my car in it!

    I hope my pipes don't freeze...

    ReplyDelete