March 17, 2006

Speed Sting

Every Friday we have donuts in the office. Usually our sales guy buys them, but today he was out of town (selling something, I hope) so I picked them up. I get a dozen glazed and dozen mixed. It is nice to have variety.

I met someone I had not seen in 20 years at the donut shop, but that is not really the subject of this entry. I pull out of the strip center and headed over to the freeway (my beloved US 59, entered via Spur 529). There was a motorcycle cop waiting at the light to get on, and I pulled in behind him.

We all got up to speed and bunched around d behind the policeman. One dopey guy started to pass the cop, and he just made a downward motion with his hand to have the guy slow down. Slow down he did, and the cop eased over to the right lane and took the next exit.

Of course, as soon as he took the exit, two cars – one a brand new BMW 750Li and the other a late model Lexus took off like a scalded cat. You have to realize that the average speed of this freeway, as we are going against traffic, is probably 75 mph. The speed limit is 60 (which see). So these jokers were feeling hemmed in.

But from my viewpoint, I could see a drama unfolding. This is one of those exits where you can get off the freeway, and then immediately back on without going through a stoplight or crossing a road. The cop was just watching the freeway, and keeping pace with these two cars. He had a plan

And he jumped back on the freeway without and further adieu, popped his lights, and fell in behind the BMW. Poor dumb fellow. He didn’t know what hit him. AND HE SHOULD HAVE!!!

He got a ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment