March 17, 2006

St Patrick's Day

I live a block away from an Irish Sports Bar.

Today is St Patrick’s Day.

Ordinarily this bar is not too crowded. It is as close to a neighborhood bar that Houston has to offer without being an Icehouse (more on Icehouses by and by). It is owned by the staff, and I always fear that they are about to go out of business. They have bands three or four times a year, and we stop in for burgers or wings maybe a half dozen times a year.

We don’t go in on St Patrick’s Day.

First of all, they charge a cover. Second, it is really crowded. Third, it is filled with a bunch of green drunks!

I always enjoyed the St Pat’s day festivals that I visited in the past (did you know that St Pat was an engineer?) and always had my share of green beer and sang my share of Irish songs.

I guess I am getting too old. And not being Irish, it just seems like a lot more trouble than it is worth.

But, unlike other festivals, I don’t begrudge the participants their fun. They usually don’t break anything, they tend to vomit in the streets and not on my lawn, and the music stops at 10:00.

What could be better?

No comments:

Post a Comment