March 5, 2006

David Bromberg in Conroe

I first heard David Bromberg when I was living in Kemmerer, WY. I was working for the Kemmerer Coal Company (now owned by Pittsburgh Midway. See a satellite image of the mine here.). This was in 1978. Well, I didn’t hear him live, but I was introduced to him on vinyl. It was his David Bromgberg:Wanted Dead or Alive! album. I fell in love with his music almost instantly. I mean, anyone who can sing a song about a fellow who killed his girlfriend, and then pleads with the judge to give him the death penalty, and make you LIKE it. (Send me to the ’lectric chair.“I said Judge, Judge, Mr Sirica, PLEASE!”) as well as a song about how he should be happy, but somehow he has the blues (Someone Else’s Blues) has my vote.

I first saw David Bromberg perform with his large band in a converted church in Madison called (cleverly enough) The Church Key. I am not sure if it is still open, but it was a great venue. It was inexpensive, and you had a great view from most of the pews. I frequently saw a band called ‘Out of the West with Beverly Jean” which was sort of a local Cosmic Cowboy band. Once when Jerry Jeff Walker was in town for another gig, he sat in with OOTWWBJ. So did The Amazing Rhythm Aces.

When Bromberg performed in a small venue, and that venue was a bar, it was a wonderful experience. Whenever he looked at the crowd, you felt as if he was looking straight at you. I am not sure how he did it, but everyone I talked to experienced the same thing. He put on quite a show, with talking, laughing, singing, and performing. He is one of the best stringed instrument players that I have ever seen.

I saw him at least two other times in Madison, I think that both of those time he was playing at a purpose built facility called Headliners that was next door to The Church Key. Bromberg would walk on the tables while playing and singing. It was quite an experience.

I moved to Houston in 1980, and back then Bromberg and his band was still touring. I saw him at Fitzgerald’s at least once, and at Rockefeller’s at least twice. Sometimes he would have his big band, sometimes his small band, and one time I even saw him with a gospel choir. On one of his trips here is had the flu, and yet the show went on. One of the local music reviewers mentioned it, and it made him mad.

How do I know? I ran into him at a local BBQ place the next time he was in town. I introduced myself to him and told him how much we enjoyed all his shows. He started complaining about the reviewer (I think it was Marty Racine) whom he said gave him the review. I found that review (see it here). It was not bad, but then memory plays tricks. (Bromberg opened for Arlo Guthrie! Talk about inversion!)

So that gets us to recent times. Last December (or so) I was listening to our local Pacifica station (KPFT) which does some local music especially on Saturday. One of the DJs (your friend and mine) Larry Winters mentioned that Bromberg would be coming to the Historic Crighton Theatre in Conroe. Now, Conroe, TX is about 50 miles from my house, but it only took about 10 minutes for me to decide I needed to see David again. (The last time I saw him was the night the US attacked Iraq – the FIRST time. It was January 16, 1991! Way too long)

Of course, the first person I thought to call was my old buddy David Chandler. He and I had gone to many concerts, and have had many adventures. Some were even fun! He agreed that he and his new wife would be glad to come. So I bought tickets and we waited.

The wait was over yesterday when we finally made the long trip up to Conroe and the music. David had called Larry Winters and asked for a place that we might grab a bite before the show. He suggested a small taqueria near downtown Conroe. We drove up with the sketchiest of directions (across the street from the Donut Wheel) and amazingly enough found ourselves in front of (a quite empty) Taqueria Vallarta.

We have never been a group to shy away from new food, so we walked in. They were obvisouly setting themselves up for a party, and we sort of walked over to the emptier side of the room. Then a fellow came up to us, all smiles and introduced himself. “Hi! I’m Larry Brown!” We all though he was the manager of the place (and an unlikely one at that) as we said hello in turn. “So it’s y’all’s birthday today?” He asked. Uh, no. OH, he then told us that they were having a birthday party for anyone whose birthday was in March. It was free, and we were welcome to join, birthday or not. He said that they eat, drink, and then go dancing. He pointed at Doreen’s strappy sandals (very cool, by the way) and said “Those just won’t do.” We all laughed, thanked him, and went to sit down. This is why one loves small towns.

We ordered and ate. The food was good, the service was well intentioned. We finally made it out the door and over to the theatre. They had Main Street blocked off in front of the place, and after picking up our tickets, we milled about outside.

The theatre itself was quite nice. Built in the 1930s, renovated in the 70s. The seating was good, the sight lines were good. After several introductions (including one by Larry Winters) James McMurtry got onstage.

James in Larry’s kid. He is a good guitar player, but man! Is he a downer or what!

After a 40 minute set, there was a 15 minute break and Bromberg got on (All times were strictly adhered to. Unlike in my youth when a 10:00 pm concert seldom started before 11:00)

Bromberg was playing with his quartet, which was (nominally) a violin, David on guitar, a bass guitar, and mandolin. I say nominally because everyone but the bass player would change instruments with some frequency.

They played one set, about an hour and forty minutes. It was all great. There were instrumental pieces, “Bad women done him wrong” pieces (the staple of the Bromberg oeuvre) and several of his older classics like “Summer Wages”, “The New Lee Highway Blues”, and (thank you!) “Sharon” (Whoa whoa whoa Sharon! What do you do t ho these men?)

It was a great show. If he comes to your town, go see him.

I graduated Phi Beta goddamned Kappa from THAT school!

No comments:

Post a Comment