July 6, 2005

Seven Six Five

Today is my birthday. I am 48 years old. The cool thing about my birthday this year is that it is 7/6/05 – you know, Seven Six Five. Well, I think it’s cool.

My lovely and talented wife came home for lunch, and took me to eat lunch at the Original New Orlean’s Po Boy on Main street just south of Alabama. I had eaten there many years ago, and remember their food to be great. I would call it a road house or something like that.

The building is sitting pretty much all by itself in the middle of a huge parking lot. The building is painted yellow, and you can see the “shadow” of a little guy in a top hat on its sign. The guy has been painted over.

You walk into the place and are met with a long, long tray table. There is a friendly employee waiting for you to make up your mind about what you want. They have great hamburgers, but we were there for the oyster po-boys. They are the best in the cityt

These po-boys are made in front of your eyes. The oysters are not fried until you place your order, and they are fried soft – not into rock hard little dried nubbins. These are crunchy and juicy, with real oyster flavor bursting out at ever bite. The sandwiches are then dressed with tomato and lettuce, and just the right amount of tartar sauce. Add a couple of dashes of Tabasco, and it is po-boy heaven.

Coupled with crinkly fries and a glass of Ice Tea, it was the perfect birthday lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment