July 5, 2005

Do you know who I am???

What is it about celebrity that turns adults into head bobbing, screaming teenagers?

I was at a party the other night to watch the fireworks for the 4th of July. They were serving drinks as usual, and the usual crowd was there. At one point in the evening a woman comes in whom I had met before briefly. I was introduced again, and as I was about to say, “I think we’ve met” she just couldn’t wait to blurt out “Ralph and Deborah Blumenthal are here! Well, I don’t know if they are HERE here, but they are here in the building! I saw their names in the guest register!”

Now, I know who Ralph Blumenthal is. He is a reporter for the New York Times. I have not heard of his wife, but she evidently writes children’s books. This woman was going NUTS because this fellow was in the SAME BUILDING as we were. I mean, really. She was a professional who owns her own business, and was going crazy over a reporter?

So why do people do that? Are they looking to make some money off the celebrity? Gain some credibility? Learn something?

One of the things I find most annoying on the radio is interviews with musicians and artists. I find them mostly boring and tedious. I figure if you want to know what a musician wants to say, listen to their music! If you want to know what an artist has to say, look at their art! If you want to know what a writer has to say, read what they have written! There is no reason to listen to Pete Seegar prattle on about how he came to write If I Had a Hammer. Or what Bruce Springsteen was thinking about when he went on tour the last time.

But this stuff sells, so I guess we are all voyeurs at heart. I just wish I knew why.

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts are that it has to do with our inate desire for meaning. Famous people seem to be living lives of meaning and substance. They seem to be part of a story, lead characters even. (Once, when I was a bit younger, I told my mother that I wanted to live an "excellent life." At the time I couldn't adequatly define what I meant, but being lead character in a great story is the best definition I can think of)
    Another trait that compounds the effects of fame, is our innate desire for a "presence," someone to hear our story. What good is a story if no one hears it? What good is a clever little saying if no one knows you said it? What good is serving your country if you don't get a medal...or good buddies to share old stories with when other old buddies die in flaoming wreckages while playing thier parts in some story?
    The desire for meaning and the desire for others, this is the human story.
    Do I sound as smart to other people as I do to myself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess your point is that people want to BE associated with famous people so that they feel worthwhile. That is sort of sad.

    But regarding the rest of your post (yes, interesting!):

    One of the reasons I started this Blog is that I have so many interesting things to say, and I just need someone to listen! I am going to expand on that when I have more time. (My poor long suffering wife is the one lucky enough to be the recipient of most of my interesting thoughts.)

    ReplyDelete