July 21, 2005

Fruits

I generally don’t care for tropical fruits. Guanabana (usually called soupsop) is far too sweet, with a funny white pulpy texture and shiny black seeds. Lechosa (papaya) has a strange, other worldly taste and a very mushy texture when wipe. Mangos? Don’t even get me started. When I lived here in Caracas before, I had several mango trees on the property. They are VERY prolific, and I had rotting mangos around the house all the time. One of the dogs (A big, black cross between a Lab and a Doberman) would eat several a day.

But I love Parchitas. Called passion fruit elsewhere, I think that they are great. Too sour and bitter for most, the yellows skinned version you get here I find delightful. I can drink parchita juice all day long. I had some at breakfast today, and hope to have plenty more before I go home tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment