April 11, 2009

Revolutionary Road

I have had Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates on my bookshelf for a couple of years. My mother-in-law gave it to use highly recommended. But it seemed to be such a depressing topic – suburban US in the 1950s. I held it on our “To be read” pile for quite some time.


Then, it seems, someone decided to make a movie out of it. And to have some big stars in it.


And the movie was panned. I did not read one good review.


But the movie rekindled interest in the book. I read one review too many (in The New Yorker, where they gave away the ending. I won't give away the ending). The review did not really want to pick up the book except for one thing – the writing was supposed to be great. Yates is sometimes called a “Writer's writer” (By which I think that they mean he does not gain commercial success.) and this was his first big book.


And anyway, I had the book.


So I started it it last weekend, and finished it this afternoon. The story follows a young couple (Frank and Alice) from lower Manhattan to the suburbs. They have two kids and Frank took a job, even though he felt himself much above it.


Much travail ensues. It all has to do with self fulfillment, selfishness, babies, and what happens when our dreams change. Or perhaps more to the point – what happened when we are not cut out for our dreams. How can we justify our own failing to live up to our own self expectations. And what are the consequences thereof.


I cannot say it was a cheery book. And there was precious little redemption, so my sweet ever-lovin' would not really like this book.


But it was a good read. Sort of like “Mad men” in black and white.

2 comments:

  1. I put down "Revolutionary Road" to pick up "Jane Boleyn." Then I checked out "Telex from Cuba," which I'm enjoying immensely. I'll probably read "Heat" since it's due at the library before I pick "Revolutionary Road" up again.

    I was particularly intrigued with Rev. Road after I listened to a Fresh Air interview with a man who, when he was in college, interviewed Richard Yates at a bar, not realizing he was an alcoholic. Check it out: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=98519486

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might enjoy the succinct reading just out in O Magazine: http://www.oprah.com/article/omagazine/readingroom/pkgbooks/200901_omag_book_yates. The novel doesn't set out to be cheery (the sort of cheer that Mrs. Givings counts on); indeed, it offers a cold shower as alterative to "the warm bath of sentimentality."

    ReplyDelete