December 4, 2010

Cars - Chapter three 1967 BMW 1600

The third car I owned was a 1967 (pretty sure on the date) BMW 1600:

(This is not the actual car. I can't seem to find any photos of this car.)

From Cars


I look back in wonder at that car. I wonder how BMW got so many horsepower into such a small package. I wonder how they managed to keep that first gear SO LOW. (you had to shift at about 4 mph). But mainly I wonder why I bought that car.

This was in 1980, and I had just moved to Houston to start my first real job. I had no money, but good prospects. I tried to get a new car, but nobody would loan me any money. (Remember 1980? 20% interest rates on car loans for the GOOD prospects!) I had to buy a suit (you had to wear a suit to work at Exxon), some furniture, gosh, all sorts of stuff.

And Houston was going through it hottest summer in years (I moved down in mid-July). There were something like 9 days in a row over 100 degrees. Exxon Mineral's offices were in a building downtown (then Dresser Tower, now KBR Tower) and there was a bank right across the street with a rotating time and temp sign. So I remember the heat quite well.

But getting back to the car. Anyone out there who is familiar with the 1600 would know that it did not have air conditioning.

Let me clarify:

I bought a car.

In Houston.

In July.

In 1980.

That had no air conditioning.

So, as I said, I wonder, baby, why I bought that car.

But it was some kind of fun. Quick and hard to drive, the synchronizers were toast, so you really had to know what you were doing in order to shift that car without grinding the gears.

I owned that car from that July until it met an untimely demise when a car turned right in front of me and I smacked into her front quarter panel.

Oh, did I mention the car had no front bumper? It was not a fair contest. She was driving a big Cadillac, I was completely wrecked.

I was coming back from the post office on 43rd street with a Christmas present. (I can't remember from whom) when she turned in front of me.

She got a ticket, I got almost nothing for the car.

Very sad way to lose a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment