December 12, 2010

Cars - Chapter nine 1994 (ish) Volvo who knows what

In January of 1995 I moved to Singapore. I inherited my predecessor's Volvo. It look just like this:

From Cars


But that is not it. I don't have a photo of that car.

It was convenient having a car in Singapore, but I did not like anything about that car. What I liked most about that car is that I could drive out to Pungoll Seafood for Black Pepper Crab and Salt and Pepper Shrimp.

The first time I went to Pungoll Seafood I didn't realize they did not take credit cards. The owner was as nice as she could be, and said that I could return later with cash. Nice! I think it was the Volvo that made her trust us.

There are not many funny Volvo stories, but the night before I left two of the guys I worked with (now they are both high rollers at their respective companies - Halliburton and Chevron) came over and we drank all of my remaining wine, which I had got from another ex-pat who had left Singapore.

We drank and drank, then we went out to a bar, I think it was called Saxophone, or something like that. I was so tight I sang St James Infirmary on the bar.

I had an early flight the next morning, and no car booked. I had hoped that one of these jokers would give me a ride to the airport. The car (that stinking volvo) was almost out of gas. Luckily for me, one of the guys did give me a ride, well hung over before a 24 hour flight.

And the car didn't run out of gas, as far as I could tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment