December 24, 2013

Beet reduction, Goose Gravy, Cranberry Relish, and My Sweet Ever Lovin'!

We had to stop by the nursery to get some plants planted.

The Light of my Life (sorry Vlad) and my Sine Qua Non was here trimming mums:


But then she came inside to make her cranberry relish (using Mama Stanberg's recipe)


while I started the goose gravy. How can you make gravy without carrots, onions, and celery? You can't.


Then, as I mentioned earlier, the steeping of the caraway seeds. It smelled like rye bread in our kitchen.


The relish. I would have called it a chutney.


Reducing the beet juice:


and reducing it more. I think that one of Brother Matthew's rules of cooking (never pick something up without knowing where you will set it down) is reduce more than you think.


Assembling the chutney:


Masticating the raspberries, so they can start to steep:


And the centerpiece:


Tomorrow will be easy. Roast the goose, finish the gravy, mash the potatoes, make the dressing, roast the beets, braise the cabbage, blanch the green beans, saute the green beans, set the table, and enjoy our friends and family.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment