May 14, 2011

The Mississippi River in Flood

I was flying back from Frankfurt to Houston when I happened to open the windowshade as we passed over the Mississippi River.

It is obvious, even from 35,000 ft that the river had exceeded its banks.

I don't know exactly where we were, but it was south of Memphis.







All the brown areas are water. You can see that big field is completely flooded.





It looks like all the old oxbows are flooded


It is hard to tell, but there is a little town there in the left side of the photo. All the river front streets were under water.








That little island was also mostly flooded




Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Bernie Daina11:04 PM

    Read McPhee's great book on the river controls years ago so delude myself that I understand a fraction of what's happening now

    ReplyDelete