June 28, 2008

Enjoy every sandwich

Doreen and I went to the funeral of a young man I knew briefly about 7 years ago. I have become good friends with he father over the years, having lunch with some regularity. He was the CFO for a company that did extremely well in the oil field equipment business. He did extremely well himself.


On of this could have possibly prepared him for the death of his son. He had just graduated from the Colorado University's MBA program, and was about to get married. The young man had two sisters and had traveled extensively all over the world. I remember one time I was talking to him in his father's office (when I met him he was working for his father) and he said that he was moving to Bangladesh. What??? Yes, he was going to do some field work there for one of the big accounting firms. He was really looking forward to it.


That was this kid's life, really. It seemed that he was always looking forward to what he was about to do next, and was enjoying what he was doing at the time. Amazing, really – to have that much self confidence and verve at the age of 30.


He died while kayaking on a river in Colorado. I don't have the details, and they wouldn't really make any difference. He was an excellent sailer, kayaker, and outdoorsman. All I can imagine it was a freak accident.


It is all so very sad.


Life is short. Enjoy every sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment