May 18, 2008

Sunday Morning Houston

Today was a beautiful day in Houston. It was crisp, in the 50s this morning when we got up to walk the dog. We took an extra long walk and then got home to our usual Sunday morning routine.


This routine revolves mainly around reading the paper and preparing for the week to come by roasting coffee and baking bread. This morning was no different. But since the weather was so nice, we sat on the front porch when we were reading the paper.


After I roasted our weekly coffee, and kneaded our weekly bread, we went back outside to enjoy the rest of the paper.


About 20 minutes after we returned outside, we heard Blaze making all sorts of noises in the bushes. Now, this I not too much of an unusual circumstance. She chases small animals and tries to divert herself. But after a lot of ruckhousing, she heard he yelp. This is definitely unusual.


I jumped up, and Doreen jumped with me. We went to the bushes and told her to come out. She reluctantly did, and when she did she had a bloody nose. This was not good.

Doreen went in and got a wet rag to wash her nose, and some antibiotics we used once before to clean up her bloody nose. We applied it and hoped for the best.


Now, you need to realize that we are in a rather urban neighborhood.


So when I came back outside and saw Blaze dancing around something in the yar, I was anticipating the worst. I thought she may have caught another baby possum. But no. This time, I was able to see the last gasp of a foot long rat.


It was wet, it was bloody, and by the time I got my shovel to administer the coup de grace, it was dead.


Rat terriers have nothing on Blaze. She doesn't like rats. She kills 'em when she sees 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment