May 8, 2008

Oslo, May 2008




Just back from a PGS Board Meeting in Oslo. We had to approve the Q1 earning release. It was a spectacular quarter, and I am really happy to play any part with that company. We also held the Annual General Meeting, where I was reelected as a board member. That is gratifying.

These meetings are brutal because of the travel. I left Houston at 7:10 on Monday evening on a Continental flight to Amsterdam. It got in at about noon, and then I had a flight from Amsterdam to Oslo at 2:45 that got into Oslo about 4:30. I had to take the train into the city (Normally very efficient, on this trip they had signal problems and it took close to an hour) and then shower, unpack, and get to a board dinner that started at 7:00 PM and lasted until about 9:00. During this board dinner we discussed things like, “Where are oil prices going” and “Why has the Chinese stock market dropped by 50% in the past year”. It is always fun, and the wine is good. But I had been up for many, many hours. I try to be witty and nuanced. I hope I don't come off as boorish and banal.

The next day we started with the Audit Committee meeting at 8:00 AM (yipes!) and then the AGM (above). The Board Meeting itself started at noon, and lasted until after 5:00. Then I have to go out to dinner with the other American (who is stuck in Oslo for the night just as I am. She can't fly out to Chicago until the next day either).

Then my flight out is at 6:30 AM (!) so I have to get on the 4:39 train to the airport. (I hate even cutting it THAT close!). Today was bad, in that there was a donor conference being held in Oslo and all those UN diplomats were flying out (business class) on my plane. The plane was even delayed so these jokers could get there.

Then I had a flight out from Amsterdam at 10:10 AM which got me home at about 1:00. (I watched the moved I Am Legend on the flight. It isn't very long, but I like Will Smith. Plenty of unanswered questions, I guess it would help if you had read the comic book. I didn't understand the Zombie rules. Also, they played a lot of Bob Marley, so that was good. They even played Redemption Song. Doreen's favorite Bob Marley tune) I had a great time through customs and immigration and was home (to some much distressed client calls) by about 1:40. That is about 65 hours out of the house. About 22 hours in an airplane, add about 4 to cover the rest of the travel time.

But I am home tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment