April 4, 2008

Biz Plan Competition, Day Two

So today I did the actual judging for the Rice Competition. This is where it gets serious. There were about 30 judges in my flight, about 180 judges overall. Each flight (there are six of them) judges six plans. The teams have 15 minutes to present, and then we have 20 minutes of Q&A. At this point it is investigating the plan, not the cosmetics or style.

Of the six plans, one was a clear winner. I don’t want to reveal it all right now, due to the (extremely unlikely, I will admit) chance that someone may read my notes and think I am giving something away. The second place team (in my opinion) was also a clear winner, just not as good as the first. Both of those plans will get funding one way or another, and will go on to become successful businesses.

The third through fifth place teams were all a wash. With a little luck, some money, and lots of hard work, any of them could make it. The last one I didn’t think had a chance.

I will give my results later.

No comments:

Post a Comment