February 23, 2006

Katrina “victim”

I ran into an acquaintance at a Digital Oil and Gas conference this week. He is from New Orleans (he lives in Mandeville – across the lake from New Orleans, actually). I asked him if he was back in his house, and how things were going. He told me that things were going fine.

Now, keep in mind that this is a college educated professional (Petroleum Engineer by degree). He said that he had no damage at all to his house. He did have to evacuate for the hurricane, and he said that traffic is real back right now.

I asked (jokingly) if he got one of the $2,000 cash cards from FEMA. He said no, that they put the money directly in his account. I asked why, and he said that it was because he had to evacuate. He then told me that FEMA also paid for the chain saw he used to cut up some trees that fell on his property, and that a month or so after the hurricane he got ANOTHER $2,300 deposited in his account.

I had to walk away.

1 comment:

  1. No wonder my tax bill is so high:)

    Great post.

    Regards,

    Ted

    ReplyDelete