October 26, 2005

Cool Weather in Houston

Fall seems to have arrived in Houston. For the past several evenings, the temperature has dropped down into the 40s! Yipes. That is just downright chilly. Luckily it still gets up into the 70s during the day, even the low 80s. I know that this cold snap won’t last forever, so it is fun to have to wear heavier clothes for a change.

I moved down to Houston in 1980. I was just out of school (University of Wisconsin, Madison) and had a job at Exxon Minerals. I was not unused to hot weather (My mother was from south Louisiana, and we visited there every summer when I was a child. Summers in South Louisiana, Winters in Wisconsin. Someone had quite a sense of humor) and do not mind it one bit.

The worst thing about those early days is that I had to wear a suit to work (no business casual, and no casual Fridays). AND I had a car with no air-conditioning. That first summer here was the hottest summer in Houston of all times. We had something like 20 days of +100 degree heat in a row. I learned how to sweat.

Since that time, I have lived in Houston or The Tropics with a brief excursion to Denver for a short year. I have become one with the heat, and while I am not foolish enough to say that I don’t like this cool weather, I really enjoy the summers.

1 comment:

  1. It's getting into the 30s at night here. Tomorrow, 10/29, it's supposed to get into the 60s. The warm weather won't last long and the days are already pretty short.

    ReplyDelete