September 22, 2005

Rita is still coming

The story continues.

I left work yesterday, Wednesday, at about 6:00 PM. More of less my usual time. I anticipated a LONG commute home, and so I took one of my standard alternate routes (Freeway mostly, surface streets to avoid congestion at the end). Traffic was a breeze. Of course, I was not heading OUT of town north, nor west, nor northwest. Those are the major routes out of town. I arrived home in about 20 minutes.

I got home about the same time my lovely wife did, and she was bearing goods. She had some water, some peanut butter, and other canned and dry goods. She said that the local Fiesta was crowded, but stuff was available.

We spent the evening believing that Rita would be heading into Matagorda, well south of Houston. Not the best track, as that makes us on the “dirty” side of the storm, but far enough away so that we don’t really need to worry.

We woke up to the National Hurricane Center telling us that Galveston is the most likely landfall. Bummer for us.

The “Strike Possibilities” now show Galveston as 22% (highest) shot at getting a direct hit.

I hope it keeps heading north and east.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment