September 21, 2005

Hurricane Rita

Lovely Rita. The hurricane preparedness is proceeding with alacrity as I type these words. I am shutting down my office at 4:00 PM today (Thursday) and it will be closed until Monday at least. Traffic in Houston ins a mess. The main evacuation routes are solid with cars. The mayor (Bill White! Gotta love him) just had a press conference with Judge Eckels (county commissioner) telling people to help their neighbors get out of town. Mandatory evacuation for low lying areas.

So what am I doing for the storm? Well, uh, nothing. We are at 49’ above sea level, about 50 miles from the coast. There will be some wind, there will be some rain. The worst thing will be that I think we will lose power for as long as a week. But maybe not!

I was here in 1983 for Hurricane Alicia. She came straight up the center of town, and we lost power for only an hour or so. I think some parts of town lost more, but we were OK.

Most of the people I know are just about panicking. I think that this is the result of the horrible mess that Katrina caused. Most of the folks in the office are heading inland. I think they are overreacting.

Am I being foolish? Perhaps.

But I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment