January 22, 2013

Monday in Los Angeles

We had a wonderful evening Sunday night with Doreen's friend Michael, his partner Jeff, and their son Patrick. They live up in the hills towards the north of town, in a spectacular home.

Monday morning, we got up again and had breakfast at the hotel.
 

Then we decided that we were going to rent a tandem bicycle and ride over to the Intellegentsia Coffee Shop in Venice Beach. They are quite famous (though their HQ is in Chicago) and I wanted to try their espresso.

So we wandered on over to the bike rental place, where I made an idiot of myself, and almost broke my nose.

We picked out a tandem, and I since I am pretty tall, I wanted to see how bad it would be to ride it. I tried to get on it like I do my regular bike. I put my left foot on the left pedal, get the bike gliding, and the swing my right  leg over the saddle. The first time I tried, my foot hit the back handlebar.

At that point, both Doreen and the rental guy said, "Stop, you can't do it that way"

But of course, I knew better. I just had to swing my leg higher. I tried again, and the next thing I knew, the concrete bike path was rapidly coming at my face. There was nothing I could do to stop it, so I broke my fall with my nose. It crunched.

It also bled, both inside and out. And I stubbed my toe, skinned both knees, and got road rash on my right hand.

It was painful, but I learned a valuable lesson. When Doreen tells me to do something, I have to do it immediately and without question.

Eventually, we did rent TWO bikes (easier) and made it up to Intelligentsia. The coffee was good, but I think mine is better. At least it tasted better with the residual taste of blood running down my throat.

We then drove to LAX
 

and flew home.
 

It was a nice trip:
   
except for the tandem.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment