March 18, 2012

Best kraut I have ever made, or eaten.

On February 26th, I started a batch of sauerkraut. This must be my eight or ninth batch of kraut.

This one was significantly better than any other I have made.

I started out with salt a cabbage, just as usual:


But after I chopped and salted the cabbage, I put it in my crock and then started pounding it with a large wooden spoon. I pounded it with the spoon end, and I pounded it with the handle end. I pounded and pounded, as this was the advice from my mother in law:
From Trouta's Birthday Party
who is from Germany.

I was also meticulous with the cleanliness of the crock. I used some iodine based brewing disinfectant generously given me my Dr John, the chairman of my board. 

I think those two things made quite a difference.

This weekend, I shared the kraut with family.




It reinforced my love of fermentation!


Posted by Picasa

Happy krauting to all of you!



1 comment:

  1. The things I never knew about you! Although I can imagine where the love of fermentation came from. Now, what was the name of that bar on College Ave. JW Puddy or something like that?

    ReplyDelete