February 24, 2012

Smells like spring in Houston

I have lived in Houston (more or less) since July 1980 (5 of those 32 years were elsewhere) and nothing makes me think of spring more than the smell of Carolina Jasmine:



When I first moved down here I lived in some apartments just outside the northwest corner of the loop. (3700 Watonga, if you must know) I was on the second story, and the apartment had Carolina Jasmine climbing up the stairs. When spring broke in 1981, the scent of this yellow flower was overpowering, new to me, and wonderful.

In subsequent places in Houston where I have lived, there was always Carolina Jasmine nearby. (I also like Confederate Jasmine, but it is not nearly as evocative to me.) Every whiff of the sweet scent sends me back in time.

At our place here in The Montrose we have planted several citrus trees:

This is a lemon tree, and indeed the lemon flower is sweet. You can't walk past these without feeling good.


These are lime trees. These, too, make you happy.

I love springtime here. The things to can smell as you walk down the street are always interesting.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment