April 15, 2011

Famous people speaking famously

These past two days I have been a judge in the Rice Business Plan Competition. It is a great event, and I love participating. I may write up a little about it tomorrow, but tonight I am just going to comment about a very famous VC who gave a presentation there this afternoon.

Many people believe that his fellow is God-like in his ability to identify companies and executives. Indeed, when he was introduced by the President of Rice, he was compared to Lincoln talking to a bunch of Civil War Buffs.

Of course, since I just finished reading Tony Horwitz great book, Confederates in the Attic, I know that most "Civil War Buffs" would not be characterized as Lincoln fans. (This is what you get for having a Yankee running Rice)

But maybe he was not far off.

The man was a truly great speaker. He was holding the crowd in the palm of his hard. But all that was coming out of his mouth was platitudes.

I won't dwell on this as I think it makes me seem bitter, and I am not a bitter person, and indeed have nothing at all to feel bitter about regarding this gentleman.

But I honestly had hoped for something more insightful from a man who has been so tremendously successful.

Maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment