March 25, 2011

A day in Passy

We started this day really late. I must be the one to blame as I was doing some work until about 11:00 AM or so. Well, maybe later.

But around noon, we jumped on the Metro (We still had some tickets left over) at the Mabillon station

And headed up to Passy.

We are both reading a book called Murder in Passy by Cara Black. Doreen had read a novel by her the last time we were here. And it was a promoted book ($0.00 on Kindle) a while back. So we wanted to see where the murder took place.


So we took the train.



This is the station where we changed trains. I think it was called Le Mot Juste. Or something like that. (la mot picquet, I am told). I liked the station, and took its picture.



We got to Passy, and found it very nice. It is sort of like a small village in a big city. I guess like The Heights in Houston. It certainly had its own feel to it.


This is the old train station. It is not a train station anymore.


You can see the Eiffel Tower from almost every place in Passy. It is on the other side of the river (The Right Bank).


We ate lunch at a "South West" food place called Le Maison Lembert. Foie Gras and duck. We had both.


I had chicken


Doreen had the Hunter's Plate.


Balzac (my favorite author) lived in Passy. He was a typical artist (that means always in debt) and lived here:

He would have to escape from his creditors, and his mistress's husband out the back door.


He would edit a LOT. This shows a proof from his publisher. Man! I would go crazy. They had series of edits from one of his stories that went all the way across the room. Fascinating. They also had all (?) the characters from The Human Comedy on a chart across three walls, including images of the characters. I don't know why we have not come here sooner.

Oh, and it was free! Very odd for Paris. I would have gladly paid.


Balzac allegedly died of caffeine poisoning. He drank a lot of coffee. This is his coffee maker.


Here is the gate from which he escaped.


He had some association with the published Gautier. I think I am related to Gautier. Or at least I had some relatives in Louisiana named Gautier, so I am claiming him as my own.



Balzac's garden was not well tended. Well, it was well tended, but it was not well designed. Rather wild. I like it like that. Not at all like Rodin's garden.


Here is the house where the murder took place.

near that house there was a park. It had this sign outside the park. You can't be jolly and walk your dog here. Your dog can't be jolly, either.



There were two different people taking a photo of this couple. So I thought I would join in.



Getting back on the Metro. There was a very low passage. I almost had to duck.



Finally, we stopped to get something for supper. Melons and Prosciutto and Sancerre.



Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment