April 24, 2010

Ray Wylie Hubbard

Doreen was kind enough to get us tickets to Miller Theatre to hear Ray Wylie Hubbard and Kelly Willis. I really enjoyed both shows. Of course, we all know Ray (He wrote Redneck Mothers). Kelly Willis is well known here in Texas, probably less so outside of the state.

Kelly Willis has a great voice, and doesn't have that breathy voice that so many young women singers seem to trade on. She had a four piece band with her (lead and base guitars, drums, keyboards) I think her latest big hit (if you would have her of her at all) was Teddy Boys.

Ray Wulie Hubbard is one strange dude. It was just Ray and a percussion guy (Rick Richards.) Ray is a much better guitar player than I thought he would be. Her wore what looked like a phrygian cap. I am not sure why - I guess he is going bald.

He did play Redneck Mothers. While not the highlight of the evening, it was entertaining.

Well worth the chore of leaving the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment