March 2, 2009

Paul Harvey and the Rocky

When I worked in St Mary's Cemetery in Appleton, WI (the final resting place of Tailgunner Joe McCarthy) I brown bagged my lucnh every day. It was almost always a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a bag of chips, and some milk. I was alone at the office (the other folks went home for lunch) so I turned up the radio and listed to Paul Harvey every day.

I can say that I honestly enjoyed listing to Paul. He had good pacing, good delivery, and a nice voice. He was sort of nutty sometimes, but he also stood up for what he believed in (NB: Taking on Nixon after the invasion of Cambodia). Every time I would hear Paul Harvery since it brings me straight back to the bench by the office, with my back to the Fox River, eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Last week was the last publication of the Rocky Mountain News. I subscribed to The Rocky when I lived in Denver back in 1981/82. I also subscribed to the Denver Post. I loved living in a two paper town. Houston was a two paper town when I first moved here. We all lose something when a newspaper shuts down.

I don't know what it would take to keep newspapers profitable. I hope they last longer than I do. Our local paper, The Houston Chronicle, recently combined its City and State and Business sections on Mondays and Tuesdays. I don't like to see that, as it implies to me that worse cuts are yet to come.

I still subscibe to the Chronicle and two other dailes. In another life I think I would have been a newspaperman.

I really hope they find a new business model.

No comments:

Post a Comment