July 20, 2008

Nietzsche was right

I don't often write about work here. There are a couple of reasons for that. One is, quite frankly, that work is seldom that exciting. Now, don't get me wrong - I like what I do, and for a job it is very exciting. We are starting a new market. That is always exciting, hard, and frustrating. Think about it. If you were trying to sell the very first telephone in the world, it would be very hard:


"Hey, look at this great thing! You can talk to your neighbors!"

"I can talk to my neighbors now"

"yes, but you can talk to them without leaving your house!"

"right - but then I would not be able to see them."

"yes, well, you could talk to them while you are in your pajamas!"

"Why would I want to talk to them while I am in my pajamas?"

"well, I don't know. But you could!"

"Do my neighbors have a phone?"

"well, no, not yet. But when they do it'll be great!"

"uh, no thanks"


And another part of it is that I find people who talk only about work to be rather tedious. It is great to love your job. It is not great to have no other interests so that all you have to talk about is your job.

But we are having some upheavals in the company just now. Our Chief Operating Officer, one of the original members of the management team from when the company was formed.

That has the potential for a complete novel in and of itself, but I will leave it be for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment