May 27, 2004

Blood on the Escalator

I have been traveling more that I would like these days. (Hence the stories about eating worms in Mexico) but the work demands it. So, remembering all my traveling days, I headed out to Denver today. There had been a big wreck on the freeway, so I probably left the house sooner than I had to. But my travel theory is walk briskly, and better early than late.



Anyway, I get to Houston Intercontinental Airport, pack, and go into the terminal to get on my plane. I don't need to check in, as I printed my boarding pass at work. I am walking through the terminal, trying to decide which security line to go through. I am passing the UP escalator, and a woman starts stumbling with her big bag (A square roller bag) her little bag. Her shoes (Dr Scholl's) that are falling off. I step up behind her to help her, and she FALLS DOWN ON TOP OF ME! Her bag rips a big chunk out of my finger, and I am about to be pushed down the escalator myself. As we reach the top, I am able to stabilize her, but not easily.



She says a quick embarrassed thank you and I head back down. My finger is streaming blood down my hand. I go to the Continental counter and ask for a first aid kit. They don't have one. I am now bleeding all over the floor. A manager finally gives me two little band aides from her purse I take them and walk down to the lower level into a bath room. I wash and clean myself up, and press paper towels on the wound. I then go up and get through security. I walk a LONG WAY to the new President's Club in the new Terminal E. (Incidental, there is a great art installation by some local artists there). They didn't have a first aid kit either, but at least they had some band aids. I was still bleeding when I took the paper towel off the wound). I patched myself up and hope the wound doesn't go septic.



What a mess. It is indeed true that no good deed goes unpunished!

No comments:

Post a Comment